By Miles offers pay-by-mile car insurance. All policies are fully comprehensive. They aim to offer competitive car insurance prices to those people driving less than 7,000 miles a year.
The price is based on the distance you drive, but not the way you drive – so there’s no driver scoring, no curfews. Likewise there are no price changes if you break or accelerate a bit too hard.
And they don’t report any speeding to the police (at least, not without a court order).
You pay a one-off annual fee to cover your car while it’s parked, after that you just pay for the miles you drive. Your mileage is automatically charged at the end of each month.
Also with By Miles, you can drive as much as you want, you’d never be charged for more than 150 miles a day or 10,000 miles per year. So if you drive 200 miles in a day, you’ll only be charged for 150 miles. Likewise, you’ll never be charged for more that 10,000 miles a year.
You also get:
• No Claims Discount protection included as standard – even if you make a claim your No Claims Discount won’t go down
• Courtesy car while your car is being repaired
• 90 days fully comprehensive overseas cover (in any EU country)
• UK claims line open 24/7
Taking a look at what they’ve achieved over the last few years…
• June 2020 – Rated 4.7/5 on Trustpilot
• Dec 2019 – Won “Best Car Insurance Provider” at the Insurance Choice Awards
• Dec 2019 – Won “Best Insurance App” at the Insurance Choice Awards
• Jul 2019 – Shortlisted for “Economic Disruptor of the Year” by the Spectator
• May 2019 – Won “Claims Excellence Award”
• Apr 2019 – Won “UK Customer Service Excellence Award”
• Dec 2018 – Won “Plain English Award” for its Policy Handbook
• Oct 2017 – Named “Innovation of the Year” at the Insurance Choice Awards
By Miles uses a Miles Tracker…
You’ll be sent a Miles Tracker in the post to measure the miles you drive. It’s about the size of a small matchbox. It’s also quick and easy to plug into your car yourself, so you won’t need an engineer to fit it..
You’ll be fully covered from your start date, and there’s no charge for the miles you drive before the Miles Tracker arrives.
The Miles Tracker also powers a range of features in their smartphone app, like “Find my car” – useful for tracking in the event of a theft, and the Car Medic, which scans your car for faults
Also, unless they get a court order, By Miles won’t report any speeding to the police!
Except where they connect to your car instead
With some newer cars, you won’t always need a tracker. E.g. you can link your Tesla account to By Miles, so that the miles you drive can automatically be measured by your mileometer and sent to By Miles.
The total you’ll pay over the year is an estimate
As part of your quote, By Miles will give you a total price based on your estimated annual mileage.
Importantly, there’s no penalty for driving more or less than your estimated mileage.
It’s just pay-by-mile, so if you drive less, then you’ll pay less than the estimate. If you drive more, you’ll pay more than the estimate.
What’s the catch?
A By Miles policy won’t suit everyone. If you drive more than 7,000 miles a year, you can probably find cheaper insurance elsewhere.
Also, policies are designed for 21 to 76 year olds, so you can’t get cover if you’re outside this age range. Likewise, there are a few other restrictions, e.g. people with cars over 20 years old won’t be able to get cover.
Customer service contact info & opening hours:
Telephone number: 0330 088 3838
Mon-Fri: 9:00am – 6:30pm
By Miles Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, number 773046.